- The Supervisors asked the School Board to send them a budget reflecting not more than a 5% increase in local funding
- Dr. Hatrick proposed a budget to the School Board with the following broad outlines:
- 5% increase in local tax funding, 4.4% increase in overall budget
- 1% Cost of Living increase for all LCPS employees (except himself and the Board; salary changes for the Superintendent are considered by the Board each July, and the School Board can only change the next Board's salary within limits set by the state).
- No new fees or initiatives
- Cuts in central office positions
The School Board has held one public hearing and one work session on the budget. During the work session, Board members asked questions of staff, most of which will be answered in writing at a later time.
Tonight there is another public hearing and worksession, and on Thursday a final work session. The School Board will, by next Tuesday, finalize its version of the budget and send it forward to the Board of Supervisors as a request.
On February 10th I will make a presentation to the Board of Supervisors about our Board's budget request. The Board of Supervisors holds its public hearings on the budget on February 24, 25 & 27. There will be a joint work session between the two Boards on March 2nd. I anticipate the the Board of Supervisors will pass its final budget by April 6th, settling on the LCPS budget in mid-to-late March.
If the Board of Supervisors decrease the LCPS funding request, the School Board will make cuts to the LCPS budget to match the amount of funding. This will happen in April and will come after we have taken more input from the public and a recommendation by the Superintendent.